Summer 2020: The department has issued another decree to limit or prohibit all unnecessary use of water from August 10th due to severe drought. A drought is 'a prolonged period of abnormally low rainfall, leading to a shortage of water.' Alert through 31st October.
EFFECTIVE as of Monday, August 10, 2020 at 8 a.m.
Prefectorial decree n°20-DDTM85-494 of 7 August 2020 on the provisional limitation or prohibition of water withdrawals and uses in the Vendée department
Carte Départementale des Arrêtés (Vendée) au 10/08/2020 (arrêtés publiés le 09/08/2020 minuit ) au 31/10/2020
Crise: zones of alert in the Vendée Maines, Sèvre Nantaise, Marais Breton, Boulogne, Vie et Jaunay, Côtiers Vendéens, Autizes superficie
Drought or not, the birds and the bees need our help!
Honey bees use water to make honey and to cool the hive. Some tips to help our friends through this crisis!
- a shallow plate with water for the bees
- keep the birdbath topped off for the birds
- add a few rocks or float leaves and corks in the birdbath to help the bees reach the water safely (or they'll drown)
- place a “bee board” underneath a slowly dripping faucet, leaning it at an angle
- if you keep a water bowl for the dogs, lizards will also go and drink from it. Add a large rock for them to perch on.
Water conservation tips!
Year-round, but especially in a drought it is our civic duty to conserve water!
- Use a bowl in the sink when washing fruit and vegetables. Use the waste water in the garden
- Brush your teeth with the tap water OFF. Use a cup to rinse rather than letting the tap run.
- Fill a bottle with water and drop it into the toilet tank
- Use washing machine or dishwasher only with a full load. If your devices are ancient, look into purchasing new with great energy savings! It will make a huge difference over time!
- Take a shower instead of a bath. Set a timer to five-minutes.
- Install a rainwater collection system (e.g. a barrel to collect from gutters, or a well)
- In the garden, use a watering can instead of a sprinkler or hosepipe
- In the veg garden, it helps to have raised beds, topped with a layer of newspapers, and about 30cm of mulch.
- Check for leaks on your home plumbing
- Report any leaks in the neighbourhood at the local mairie